Practicum - Child Life Services
Learn More About Becoming a Child Life Specialist
At Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital, our Child Life Specialists provide services throughout the entire hospital including: Emergency Department, Surgery, Inpatient Medical/Surgical, PICU, Radiology and outpatient specialty clinics. In the child life practicum, individuals will complete 120 hours during a 10-week period.
A Practicum in Child Life Will:
- Orient individuals to the profession
- Familiarize individuals with the hospital environment
- Provide individuals with the opportunity to apply play and child development theories
Those in the program will receive the opportunity to shadow Child Life Specialists during Child Life interventions. They will also have the opportunity to plan, coordinate and facilitate group activities, as well as engage patients in activities at the bedside.
- At least one course in child development.
- Experience working with children.
- Purchase "The Handbook of Child Life," by Richard Thompson (ISBN: 978-039807834)
Along with the Child Life Practicum Application, Please Include:
- At least one letter of recommendation
*Our child life practicum programming follows the recommendations for child life practicums set by the Child Life Council.
Please Return Completed Applications to:
Valerie Chance, CCLS
Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital
Child Life Department
PO BOX 5299
Tacoma, WA 98415-0299
Feel free to contact Valerie Chance at 253-403-7243, or [email protected]