A new home for Mary Bridge Children’s
Ushering in a new era of pediatric care for the Pacific Northwest
After more than 30 years of sharing space with MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital, Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital is getting a new home.
Mary Bridge Children’s is the only Level II Pediatric Trauma hospital in Western Washington. Maintaining this designation and opening a new state-of-the-art facility is an incredible development in pediatric medicine for our region and is a critical step forward as we continue to provide the best health care to children in our communities.
The new hospital building will be located on the corner of Division Avenue and Martin Luther King Junior Way, across the street from its current location. Mary Bridge Children’s Outpatient Center will be incorporated into the new facility’s architectural design, bringing both inpatient and outpatient services to one location, and a new parking structure will connect directly to the hospital. Other design and architectural elements of the new hospital building will reflect Mary Bridge Children’s roots in Tacoma and the Pacific Northwest.
The new Mary Bridge Children’s building will include:
- 64 private pediatric Medical-Surgical Unit patient rooms
- 18 private Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) patient rooms
- 34 pediatric Emergency Department (ED) treatment rooms
- Eight (8) pediatric behavioral health crisis rooms
- Eight (8) pediatric operating rooms
- Two (2) endoscopy rooms with sedation services
- Hybrid catheterization (cath), electrophysiology (EP) and radiology suite
- Pediatric diagnostic imaging center with sedation services, including MRI, X-ray, CT, PET and ultrasound
- Infusion and hematology/oncology clinic
- Cardiology services, including exam rooms, echocardiogram, ECG, stress and PFT capabilities
- Helipad for airlift transport needs, in partnership with Airlift Northwest
- Retail pharmacy services
- Shelled space for future expansion needs
Preliminary work on the multi-year project is underway and construction of the new hospital building is scheduled to begin in early 2022. We anticipate the hospital will open its doors for care in late 2024.
About the project
Building a new hospital from the ground up is a large undertaking and is a once in a generation opportunity to create one of the best and safest children’s hospitals in the nation.
Preliminary work on the project is underway and construction of the new hospital building is scheduled to begin in early 2022. We anticipate opening the new facility for care by the end of 2024.
Mary Bridge Children’s has partnered with CBRE for project management, ESa (Nashville) and TGB Architects (Edmonds, Wash.) for architecture and design, WSP USA (Dallas) for building engineering services, and Layton Construction (Salt Lake City) and Abbott Construction (Tacoma, Wash.) for construction of the new hospital. Colemon & Associates is managing community engagement and outreach.