Increasing Independence for Children
The Children's Therapy Unit's Assistive Technology Program provides evaluation, consultation and continuing/professional training in the use of adaptive equipment and devices to increase a child's independence in daily activities.
Our services can include identification of commercially available products, custom modification of commercial equipment, custom fabrication of unique equipment and child/parent training in the therapeutic use of equipment.
Equipment and devices addressed include, but are not limited to:
- Adaptive switches for controlling toys, appliances, computers, power wheelchairs and other items
- Architectural and home access and safety issues
- Augmentative and alternative communication devices
- Computer technology, software and devices to allow for independent access
- Devices to help with daily living tasks
- Mobility and ambulating equipment
- Recreation and leisure equipment
- Seating, standing and positioning equipment
For more information on the program and how it might help your child become more independent, call 253-697-5200.