ADD and ADHD
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or attention deficit disorder (ADD) is a common condition that causes problems with focusing and impulsive behavior. At Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital & Health Network, we provide comprehensive diagnosis and treatment resources for children who have ADHD and other complicating conditions or diagnoses.
Why Choose Mary Bridge for ADHD Treatment?
Parents of children with ADHD choose us because we offer:
- Experienced physicians: We see many children with ADHD, and our board-certified pediatric neurologists can provide care for related neurological conditions.
- Personalized care: We coordinate with other specialists in areas such as mental health and behavioral therapy to help treat ADHD symptoms.
- Educational support: We advise on 504 plans that outline any accommodations your child needs to be successful at school.
ADHD Symptoms and Diagnosis
Common symptoms of ADHD include:
- Difficulty paying attention or focusing for long periods
- Chronic forgetfulness
- Impulsive behavior
Diagnosing ADHD requires a professional evaluation of your child’s behavior. Sleep disorders and certain types of seizures can have symptoms similar to ADHD, and our neurologists can help determine whether an underlying medical condition is responsible. Learn more about diagnosis and testing.
ADHD Treatment and Services at Mary Bridge
We provide medication management and 504 planning advice for ADHD, with a strong referral network of specialists to meet your child’s unique needs.
Treatment options and approaches for managing ADHD include:
- Medication: Doctors use medications, such as Concerta® (methylphenidate) and Adderall® (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine), to minimize symptoms of ADHD.
- Behavior therapy: We can connect you with child psychology professionals and training resources for replacing negative behaviors with positive ones.
- Educational accommodations: Our team can advise on 504 plans that outline what your child needs at school to achieve his or her academic potential.
ADHD Support and Resources
Every patient in our clinic has access to a team of personal health partners (PHPs) to help manage treatment. This team includes a nurse and social worker to help coordinate care, navigate school issues and answer questions about your child’s care. Find out more about our support services.
For more resources and strategies for helping children cope with ADHD, visit ADDitude.
Call us at 253-792-6630 to make an appointment with one of our specialists.