We understand the unique difficulties children with autism and their parents face every day. Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital & Health Network has the area’s only autism nurse navigator.
Our autism nurse navigator provides helpful resources and coordinates the care that will help improve your child’s quality of life. We also provide referrals to applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy, one of the main treatments for helping children with autism improve daily functioning.
Why Choose Us for Autism Evaluation?
Parents may decide to seek an autism evaluation after noticing signs such as speech delays, socialization difficulties and repetitive behaviors. Parents come to us for autism evaluation because we provide:
- Highly qualified neurologists: Here, your child will see experienced, board-certified pediatric neurologists who are skilled in identifying autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). Our specialists regularly appear on local rankings of top doctors.
- Autism nurse navigator: Our clinic’s autism nurse navigator provides personalized guidance for families, coordinating care so you don’t have to ask what comes next. As a health care professional, our autism nurse navigator understands autism within the context of your child’s other medical needs.
- Comprehensive support: We provide a full range of support services such as help with 504 plans for school accommodations. We also treat other conditions, such as epilepsy, that can occur with autism, working with a network of specialists to address your child’s unique needs.
- Compassionate care: We understand the difficulties of testing and treating children with autism. Medical care can be stressful to children, so we educate our staff on how to be sensitive to these needs.
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Therapy Referrals
Applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy is one of the leading treatments for helping children and parents learn to manage autistic behavior. This treatment approach focuses on developing positive behaviors and minimizing negative ones to improve function in children with autism.
Licensed professionals provide ABA therapy, often in the comfort of the child’s own home. While we do not offer ABA therapy, we are a designated center of excellence for ABA therapy referrals, providing parents with referrals to local centers offering ABA therapy. Many insurance plans in Washington will only cover ABA therapy when the referral comes from a neurologist at an approved center of excellence.
Comprehensive Autism Support for Children and Families
We offer many support services for children with autism and their families. Our services include:
- Neuropsychology professionals who provide learning assessments and personalized education recommendations
- A dedicated autism nurse navigator to help coordinate treatment, connect you with key resources and answer any questions you may have
- Pediatric sedation and child life specialists who attend tests and treatments to ensure your child’s comfort
- Complex care team to coordinate services such as home care, rehab and equipment specialists for children with severe conditions
- Assistance transitioning to adult care for teens with autism, if needed.
Learn more about our support services.
Resources to Learn More About Autism
Many excellent resources exist for parents and families who want to learn more about autism. These resources include:
- Families for Effective Autism Treatment (FEAT) of Washington, a local advocacy group with information on early intervention services for children with autism
- Healthy Children, a website from the American Academy of Pediatrics that includes information on autism
- Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers, Revised (M-CHAT-R™), a tool for diagnosing symptoms of autism in toddlers
For urgent matters or to make an appointment with one of our specialists, call the neurology clinic at 253-792-6630.
Current patients with non-urgent needs can reach our autism nurse navigator at 253-403-7328.