Nutrition Services at Mary Bridge
Nutrition is an important part of your child’s growth, development and health. Our Nutrition Team is comprised of experienced Registered Dietitians who provide nutrition care and consulting services for patients of all ages in both the inpatient and outpatient setting. We work closely with all the Mary Bridge Specialty clinics to give your child comprehensive nutritional care and guidance, and we help parents and families set and reach goals for your child’s health and quality of life.
How We Help
Mary Bridge Nutrition Services helps support children and families with referral-based services ranging from basic nutritional support to specialty nutrition clinics.
Basic Nutrition Education and Feeding Practices
Raising a healthy child is every parent’s number one priority. And sometimes it can feel like an overwhelming task. Mary Bridge Nutrition Services can help parents of any child when it comes to nutritional concerns such as:
- Weight and Wellness: Whether parents are concerned about their child gaining weight too quickly or too slowly, we will help ease their concerns and provide tailored strategies for ensuring that their child grows up healthy and happy.
- General Feeding Concerns/Questions: Unsure how to start solid foods for an infant? Have a teen trying a vegetarian/vegan diet? Questions about supplements or general nutrition? We can guide families down the right path.
- Picky Eating: Many children will love a food one day and hate it the next. Other children will be much more particular about the foods they accept. We can help guide parents in understanding normal eating and provide personalized strategies to best assist children who have limited food acceptance.
- Sports Nutrition: Children and teens who are highly active and involved in sports have unique nutrition needs. We can assist young athletes in developing meal and snack plans that will promote optimal health and performance in their favorite sport or activity.
Outpatient Specialty Nutrition Services
Children with chronic conditions or serious illnesses often have special nutritional needs. Nutrition Services at Mary Bridge teams up with virtually all of the Mary Bridge Specialty Clinics, to help families with children managing a wide range of conditions, including:
- Chronic kidney disease
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Feeding and Growth Concerns
- Food Allergies
- Gastrointestinal conditions including:
- Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, irritable bowel disease,
- Eosinophilic Disorders
- Celiac disease
- Esophageal reflux
- Motility disorders
- Pancreatic disease
- Liver dysfunction
- Short bowel syndrome
- Ketogenic diet
- Metabolic syndrome
- Neurological disorders
- Special Nutritional Management, including:
- Tube Feeding
- TPN management
- Nutrition Monitoring for Preterm infants after hospital discharge
- Specific Nutrition Disorders, including:
- Fructose malabsorption (Low FODMAP Diet)
- Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) for IBD
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
We also offer specialty nutrition clinics in the following areas:
- Gastroenterology (GI)
- Metabolic and Genetics
What to Expect
If your child is seen in one of our specialty clinics a dietitian is part of their care team. You and your child will receive nutrition support as part of your child’s treatment plan.
Children who are not currently patients at one of our specialty clinics can be referred to our services by their doctor.
During your child’s visit with one of our dietitians, we will gather a full nutrition and health history and devise an individualized strategy for healthful eating/feeding that works for your child and family. Follow up visit are scheduled as needed.