Support for families through their journey with serious illness
Helping Children and Families Navigate their Medical Journey
Mary Bridge Children's Palliative Medicine, also called palliative care, provides support for patients and families who are experiencing a wide-range of chronic, complex, or life-limiting conditions. Palliative care support is offered alongside a patient’s medical therapy, including curative treatment.
Our palliative care team includes doctors, nurse coordinator, social worker, and partners closely with chaplaincy and child life specialists.
Based on a family’s unique needs, we may offer support by:
- Supporting the family through medical decision making
- Facilitating communication with care teams
- Collaborating with care teams regarding symptom management and improving quality of life
- Exploring the patient’s and family’s goals for their care and wellbeing
- Partnering with family to ensure their child’s medical care is consistent with their values
- Providing emotional, spiritual, and psychosocial support throughout the family’s experience with serious or advanced illness
- Referring to community resources when appropriate
- Following the family throughout their journey, both on an inpatient and outpatient basis
If you would like to place a referral or have any questions about pediatric palliative medicine, please contact us at our referral and message line: 253-403-3807.