How to Participate - Pediatric Weight and Wellness
1. Send us a referral
Have your Primary Care Provider fill out a referral for the In-depth Assessment. Once the referral is received, we will call you to schedule the assessment.
2. Complete labs if ordered
Your Primary Care Provider may order labs to assess possible risk for diabetes, heart disease and liver function. The labs require fasting - this means no food or drink (except water) up to 8 hours before the labs are drawn. These labs can be drawn up to three months prior to your visit.
3. Attend the In-depth Assessment
Allow 1 hour for this visit. The child or teen should attend with both parents, if possible, and should wear comfortable clothing for fitness testing. The assessment will include:
- Body measurements - height, weight, blood pressure
- Fitness assessment - strength, flexibility, aerobic fitness
- Lifestyle and psychosocial interviews - completed by Registered Dietitian and Social Worker with parent(s) and child/adolescent
- Goal setting and referral to community resources - a plan to support lifestyle change
- Assessment summary review - all information compiled into an Assessment Summary
Tacoma appointments are available each Thursday at 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm, and 4 pm. Covington appointments are at 10 am, 11 am and 1 pm on the first Tuesday of the month. Below are types of services you may be billed for. Check with your insurance plan to see what type of coverage they allow. Your actual charges will depend on the service you receive and your insurance coverage for those services:
- Nutrition Assessment: 1 hour of Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
- Facility Fee
- Psychosocial Assessment: We are not currently billing for this service
4. Attend a Family Wellness Workshop – open to all regardless of program participation
Call to schedule this parent(s)-only visit (there is no charge for this appointment). You will receive the Family Wellness Toolkit and learn what you need to know to start making changes. This program is offered twice a month in Tacoma and can be scheduled by calling 253-792-6630. Every-other-month dates are available in Covington.